Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Olympics, A New Job and A Win for the City!

We are lovin' the Olympics and our study of it! It brings excitement and interest to learning everyday. I am most amazed with the swimming so far and man! is Michael Phelps determined and dedicated or what?!? INSPIRING HUH?! So far we have the count of total metals as follows: USA is in the lead with a total of 22 total metals, China next with 20 and in 3rd is S. Korea with a total of 12 metals.

Thanks to a very good friend I now have a 3 month membership to the top gym in town. The first day we went to get our membership and work out I got hired to teach aerobics classes. USA GYM teaching Mon, Wed. and Sat. mornings. Low Impact on Mon. and Wed. and I think a mixture of things on Sat. morning. Come join us and Get Fit McMinnville!! I've also begun training for the 1/2 marathon they will be having here in McMinnville in Oct. I'm so stoked about it! I was supposed to run in one this past April in Nashville but due to our extenuating and changing circumstances wasn't able to. The gym has now become my second home.

I engaged in my first political/city admin. meeting/hearing tonight. I LOVED IT! I don't know why my dad didn't encourage me more in this area due to his experience and expertise but I'm glad I got involved. You see we, along with lots of other people bought pool passes in the beginning of the summer to be used until Labor Day. We've had pool passes for the last 4 years or so and we've always been able to use our pool passes all summer and when school starts back, after school and on the weekend until the pool closes on Labor Day. Due to some difficult financial times and bad budgeting our city recently made some cuts and one of those cuts was to close the pool every afternoon now and only have the pool open on the weekends from now on until Labor Day. Well, that's not what we paid for and no one informed any of us of that. So I decided to get involved, drew up a letter and petition and submitted tonight. They called a special meeting right after the regularly scheduled meetings and the POOL WILL REOPEN FOR AFTER SCHOOL HOURS BEGINNING MONDAY AFTERNOON!!! How cool is that! See sometimes we can make a difference. Many, most people were saying I was just wasting my time and that they weren't going to do anything about it. Well it never hurts to try. So all of you out there, to THANK THE CITY, GO TO THE POOL AS MUCH AS YOU CAN ONCE IT REOPENS AND BUY FROM CONCESSIONS! Also support Meals on Wheels, The Senior Center and Main St. McMinnville as they are in need of financial help. I'll do my part, you do yours and together we can make a difference! Wow, do I sound like a politician...that's scary but my dad might be proud :)

1 comment:

Anne Elisabeth said...

Just some interesting tid bits that you might want to incorporate into your lessons if you have not already: USA is the only country to count total number of medals. All other countries only keep count of Golds.

China will not allow one of its female track and field athletes to be shown on camera, because she is not pretty enough.

The little girl who sang during the opening ceremonies was actually lip syncing because the girl who really was singing also wasn't pretty enough.

The Bird Nest was actually built on land stolen from the people of China. They were forced to move from their homes with no place to go and no reimbursement.

Also, take a minute to visit www.prisoneralert.com this website is dedicated to the support of imprisoned Christians around the world, and many of those are from China. You can write them letters in their own language and print them out and send them. Also, you can order a "Pray For China" wrist band... A pastor from China was recently arrested for connection with these wrist bands.

The Great Wall of China is actually not so GREAT. It was built on the backs of slave labor and for many of Chinese it represents bondage and darkness.