Friday, April 10, 2009

Was Good Friday Really "Good"

embedding was disabled so i couldn't post the video here but go watch this today in honor of the One we should cry out to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOb8ihacSM4

It's difficult for me to "celebrate, Good Friday" as good. Good things are usually a lot of fun for me and i usually don't have a problem "celebrating" things. However, every year as Good Friday approaches, I balk. I must take rememberance of in order to grasp and look at Good Friday.

Title: Apportioned Limitations
Author: Elisabeth Elliot

The God who determined the measurements of the foundations of the earth sets limitations to the scope of our work. And His SON's work. It is always tempting to measure ourselves by one another, but this easily leads to boasting or despair. It is our business to find the sphere of service allotted to us, and do all that He has appointed us to do within that sphere, not "commending ourselves."

Paul said, "We will keep to the limits God has apportioned us" (2 Cor 10:13 RSV). Today, on Good Friday, the day Jesus was captured, tortured and began his sentencing leading to his death, it's hard to see "limits". He pretty much gave all, willingly. But Jesus did that(he did keep to the limits God had apportioned him)--willing to become a helpless, newborn baby, to be a growing child, an adolescent, a man, each stage bounded by its peculiar strictures, yet each offering adequate scope in which to glorify his Father. And He went to the furthest limit apportioned, being tortured and sacrificed and crucified for us!
Lord, glorify yourself through me and in the place You've set me. Let me not covet another's place or work or glory. from www.elizabetheliott.org/devotional
italics mine.

2 comments:

Jenibug7 said...

Elias asked me at church last night why we call it Good Friday instead of Bad Friday. =)
I had to explain what would have happened if Jesus hadn't done what He did and we came to the conclusion that it really is a good thing He did do it. Hence, Good Friday. Still, kind-of hard to swallow.

Faith Swearingen-Gorham said...

Myra,
I am so excited to see what great work you and your husband are doing for the Lord! Way to go.
I would love to catch up with you sometime. I am working as a Co-Dir of Children's Ministries for our church, and my husband is in the Praise Band as well as some other committees. Your family is beautiful!
Keep up the good work!
In Christ,
Faith Swearingen-Gorham