Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Priceless Kid Moments

I was just outside laying in the hammock trying to get a few minutes of peace and alittle sun and Josiah comes out to rest with me. Here's the convo. that followed

J: I just thought of something
M: What's that?
J: When the moon is out, Satan is it.
M: Huh...
J: You know because he's like the dark side and God's like the sun.
M: I see that, but ya know God created the moon to be the light during the dark, just like he created the sun during the day. God's kinda like the moon and Satan is kinda like the dark.
J: Yea, and Satan is like trying to kill all the stars.
M: Yes, and you know we're kinda like the stars and God's like the moon.
J: And you know in that class I used to go to, they said something like we are the roots and God is the tree.
M: Yes.

Another cute story that needs to be recorded happened at the bowling alley the other evening on John-John's b-day. Matt and I were at the counter sorting out how many games we would play and the details as all the children ran to look around in the game room. As I walked over to check on them James is digging into the prize slot of one of those digger machines so estatic! James and Josiah say "Mom, we got you some earrings!"
Me: "Wow, thanks! How'd you do that?"
James: "It was just on for free."
Me: "Wow, cool, thanks!" And off we went to bowl. As we are leaving the bowling alley John-John exclaims "My wallet! I left my wallet!"
So Matt and John-John unbuckle and go back inside to look for the wallet. Several minutes later, they come out and Matt looks mad and John-John is sobbing.
Me: "What?"
Matt:"Who put John-John's $5 in that stupid machine?"
John-John, sobbing: "James did!"
Everyone:"NOT ME! NOT ME! NOT ME!"
Me:"JAMES(like how they scream ALLLLLVINNNNN in the chipmucks) You are getting a spanking when we get home."
James, profusely "Mom, mom, I didn't do it! But I didn't!" I sense he's actually telling me the truth.
Me: "JOHN-JOHN! Did you put you money in that machine? Tell me the truth!"
John-John still sobbing: "Yes but James did and then Josiah".
After 15-20 minutes of this we finally get the story sorted out. John-John knowing he had money in his wallet and it was his, saw the money slot and the game and thought he would make the most of his own opportunity. However, he knows his brothers are better at these games then he because they can actually see over the control so he motions to them when the power is on. They jump at the chance, first Josiah tries, then James. BINGO!!! James wins and mom gets a beautiful pair of dangling earrings for John-John's birthday!! How sweet and what a way to spend the only birthday money you got! I tried to get Matt to take the earrings back in and explain to the lady what happened and try to get my son's $5 birthday money back but NO. Matt said it would be a lesson learned, indeed it will and I have some of the most beautiful and prized earrings a mom could want. I will wear them well and often, they cost my son a lot!
That night I thanked John-John for my earrings and he said looking very downtrodden "yeah, because James got them from that STUPID machine!" Lesson accomplished :)

1 comment:

trouble said...

How cute. I hope to one day have conversations like that with my kids. It was a lesson well learned.