Wednesday, April 23, 2008

What a Day!

On a spur of the moment decision I decided to take the boys on a 4 hour canoe trip today with two other homeschooling families. We actually got in the water at 10:40am and got to our final destination at 4:30pm. How long did I say it was supposed to be? 4 hours? Ok, so it took us 6 hours but it was worth every minute!! One of the homeschool dads has an adventure business that he conducts on the side and it's awesome! A treasure to us each time we've participated over the last two years, check them out @ http://www.robertoaksadventures.com/ Here's the blurp for our adventure today:

Canoe trip down the Barren Fork of the Collins river, We will be leaving from just below the dam at the park below the Frank G Clement Bridge about 10:00 am. Our take out is at the ramp near the VFW. The trip will last about 4 hours. We will shuttle people back to the park to pick up there cars. The Barren Fork is an easy moving senic river with many small but fun rapids.Suitable for beginers and still fun for the more expirianced alike.Expect to encounter Wood Ducks, Canadian Geese, Blue Heron, King Fishers, plenty of turtles. On recent trips down the Barren fork I've encountered playfull River Otters.
We encountered ALL the wildlife mentioned above, plus cows, horses and donkeys and explored a cave and found many treasures there, stalagmites, stalagtites, columes, a beautiful fugus growing out of racoon dung, racoon tracks and many observations of how the water has cut into the cave and made so many different patterns. And most impressive was the little 8 year old girl who caught a fish, crawfish, toads and anything else she could with her hands to show everyone! She and James were the best 8 year old kayak duo I have ever seen, like 2 peas in a pod!! And they saved many many articles of clothing, drinks and canoe paddles after two of the canoes capsized behind them, they were everyday RESCUE HEROS today and no my boat was not one of the ones that filled with water. I actually remained dry all day and I think I was the only one.....how did that happen??? James also had his first experience swimming through a current today, he did great! He said it was alittle scary but he took on the challenged like a real adventurer!!
Hopefully I can post the pics soon. I'm exhausted and the trip went so long we missed church. We'll all sleep VERY well tonight!
THANKS OAKS!!! It was AWESOME!!!

p.s. I know I've gone overload on the posts lately but please take the time to read the uncovering the truth about modesty if you take the time to read nothing else :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness... you are a better man than I am gunga din. You must be totally exhausted after that.

Sounds like a lot of fun, just not sure if that wouldn't totally deplete all my mental faculties for the week :)

How 'bout some pics of everyone in the canoes?

myra said...

Thanks scott but I'm a WOman!! :)

Jess said...

myra. sounds great..im learning to use it so that would be great practice for me!

Jenibug7 said...

That rocks! And I did read the modesty thing and thought it was great!