Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Stressed?




Questions to ask yourself daily.....and if your me, to ask yourself 3x daily.
by Deborah Smith Pegues

1. Did I take the time to become clear on the nature and core reason why a certain stiuation threatens to stress me today?

2. Did I strenghten my spritual foundation by connectin with God through prayer, Bible reading and meditation?

3. Did I avoid foods that provide NO nourishment?

4. Did I sleep at least seven to eight hours that night before?

5. Did I engage in a physcial activity for at least 20-30 minutes?

6. Did my actions align with my core values relative to God, Family, etc.........

7. did I schedule my day to include only a few versus numerous major takes?

8. Did I spend within my budget?

9. Did I resist the temptation to do wrong in any way? ahhh....resist the temptation, today?

10. Did I make an effort to enjoy today rather than focusing totally on the future?

11. Did I say no to a request that would have distracted me from my goal or purpose?

12. Did I exhibit flexibility, even though I wanted things done my way?

13. Did I delegate a task rather than doing it myself?

14. did I evaluate my expectation when someone frustrated me?

15. Did I attempt to resolve conflict today by running away, exploding, or handling it God's way?

16. Did I make a decision to forgive and release the past?

17. Did I take appropriate breaks today?

My suggestion is that you print these out and have one by your bedside for the morning before you get out of bed, one in a kitchen area and one in your work area or at your office. At least that's my plan anyway, these are incredible tools for a life well lived! And if you didn't know I'm definately always looking to improve mine.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm..."How to" rules in the form of questions.

In other words...Did I live a perfect life today?

The only question that even remotely reflects our need for grace is the last one.

myra said...

Anonymous.....(mom) It's not about perfection,don't put it or yourself to that standard or your putting yourself and all of the rest of us to a test we'll never pass. Just think of it as helpful self-examination and suggestions for a life well lived and peace of mind that can never be bought.

Anonymous said...

you guessed wrong about my identity...ask Vickie:)

Still sounds like works to me...do X and you'll receive Y

myra said...

anonymous.....it's Vicki and I did ask her. anyway, your identity is not important to me your comments and thoughts are.
you said "still sounds like works to me. Do X and recieve Y? Question 1: what does this new statment have to do with perfection and
Question 2: what's wrong with doing X and recieving Y, that's very biblical.
Thanks, I appreicate your comments!! Keep the dialogue going, even if it is just me and you who read and write :)

Anonymous said...

Perhaps my sarcastic question of "Did I live a perfect life today? was a little strong. I think though, if it was possible to consistently live your life according to that list of questions, you might be pretty far along the road to perfection.

The original post was regarding the idea of living without stress...in other words, free from anxiety...in other words, at peace. These terms refer to an emotional/spiritual state. It is my experience and belief that true emotional maturity and true spiritual growth do not come as a result of our effort, but rather as a result of grace. Self-care (proper rest, nutrition and exercise) helps, but does not directly cause spiritual growth.

I know that if I don't work, I won't have any money and if I don't study, I won't make good grades. If I don't mow my yard, my house will look bad. The principle of sowing and reaping is biblical and a natural law, but just because you sow doesn't mean you will necessarily reap. Ask any farmer.

Paul writes of a peace that passes all understanding. If it passes understanding, I don't think it can be obtained through self-discipline.

myra said...

Anonymous, very good points. I think I completely agree :)